Powered by xpats.com
6 °C

Not registered yet?

  • Daily & weekly newsletters
  • Buy & download The Bulletin
  • Comment our articles
Register now

You are here

Urgent: Resindent F Card Advice


I am an African, married to my british husband living in Belgium. We were married in 2013 and I got the F card.
I have been living and working in Belgium since 2014 and am still working (same job with a fixed contract)

We are separated now and he relocated back to England since 2016 since then I have not heard from him or spoken with him, as every move I make seems abortive.

When he relocated and moved his address, I was surprised my F card was not cancelled as I kept working. I have received no letter from the authorities or what so ever regarding my residence card, my taxes are still being collected but this time on my name only (so I assume they are aware am living alone now)
I checked with a lawyer to help confirm, if the government is aware am alone and he confirmed yes.

My 5years card is due mid next year and am not sure what to do or what card residence to apply for. My options are:

1. to go the gemeente huis to ask for the F+ Card but am scared my F card could be taken from me:
2. Or to ask for the a Nationality but also am scared my F card could be taken from me:

I have completed my entire integration courses and even did a voluntary work for the antwerp govt in 2013.
Please I need professional information or tips from someone had similar problem..

Thank you in advance

Denniss Oct 23, 2017 10:32 Marked as helpful by the topicstarter

Hi, Angelica!
it is not professional advise but the info form a web-site (in Dutch only) http://www.agii.be/thema/de-unieburger-is-economisch-actief-in-belgie/je...

Beëindiging van je huwelijk of partnerschap door echtscheiding, nietigverklaring van je huwelijk of beëindiging van je partnerschap
Als er een einde komt aan je relatie met je EU-echtgenoot of partner door echtscheiding, nietigverklaring van je huwelijk of beëindiging van je partnerschap, dan behoud je je verblijfsrecht toch. Je moet vallen onder één van deze gevallen:
- je huwelijk, je partnerschap, of je gezinscel heeft, bij de start van de gerechtelijke procedure tot ontbinding van je huwelijk of bij de beëindiging van je partnerschap of je gezinscel, ten minste drie jaar geduurd, waarvan minstens één jaar in België
- het recht van bewaring van jouw kinderen met de EU-echtgenoot of partner is aan jou toegewezen, in onderlinge overeenstemming of bij gerechtelijke beslissing. De kinderen moeten dan wel in België verblijven.
- het omgangsrecht met een minderjarig kind is aan jou toegewezen, in onderlinge overeenstemming of bij gerechtelijke beslissing, en de rechter heeft bepaald dat je dit recht van bewaring in België moet uitoefenen en dit zolang het nodig is
- in bijzonder schrijnende situaties. Bijvoorbeeld als je tijdens je huwelijk of partnerschap het slachtoffer was van huiselijk geweld (zie hieronder)

Daarnaast moet je in élke hypothese bewijzen dat je valt onder één van deze gevallen:
- werknemer of zelfstandige bent in België
- voor jezelf en je familie beschikt over voldoende bestaansmiddelen om te voorkomen dat je tijdens je verblijf ten laste valt van het OCMW in België en beschikt over een ziekteverzekering
- deel uitmaakt van een familie waarvan een persoon voldoet aan al die voorwaarden

It seems that you fullfil the criteria that is why your status was not cancelled. Though, to be on the safe side, I would go to the gemeente and ask for advice. The question is whather you are offically divoreced or no, if not you might still go and declare that now you do not live together anymore and snice you have a job and pay taxes you should be ok.
Good luck,

Denniss Oct 23, 2017 10:40

P.S. this organisation offers a legal advise as well on the phone, so we might want to call them. They helped me a lot, when I was in need.

J Oct 23, 2017 16:23 Marked as helpful by the topicstarter

> go the gemeente huis to ask for the F+ Card

Yes. Whilst you're at it, start the process for declaration of nationality.

You sound like a perfectly straightforward case. Nothing to worry about.

crisscross Oct 24, 2017 20:47 Marked as helpful by the topicstarter

I think the best would be to apply for the D card when you go for renewal since you would have finished 5 years stay and as you already have a job, you qualify for the D card. The moment the D card is approved and you receive it, you can apply for nationality.

Questions & Answers

Help and get help

Peter Alan

Is there any service in Belgium (similar to for example ourproperty.co.uk) where you ca...


Hi, I have been looking for some time now to buy a genuine leather (brown) handbag. I h...


Can anyone provide a personal recommendation for a French teacher in the Brussels area?...


Get in touch with your internal...

Quality holiday accomodation for your cat...

Events & Social


22 Jan
by Fern
23 Jan
by English Comedy Brussels
23 Jan
by ACE of Brussels


7 Feb
by Expat Club
8 Jun
08.06.2018 to 10.06.2018
by Expat Club
21 Mar
by Jazz4you asbl