Powered by xpats.com
11 °C

Not registered yet?

  • Daily & weekly newsletters
  • Buy & download The Bulletin
  • Comment our articles
Register now

You are here



I'm an Iranian living in Belgium. I hold a PhD of English literature from Singapore. I would like to know how to become a qualified teacher in Belgium?
Can I teach at private schools in Belgium with my current degree?
Thank you

anon Apr 16, 2017 11:06

There is a very comprehensive resource here on becoming a teacher in the Belgian (French Language) state system. I assume there is an equivalent for the Flemish Language system. http://www.enseignement.be/index.php/index.php?page=26826&navi=3427

If you don't speak and write fluent French or Flemish, then you have virtually no chance whatsoever of getting a teaching job in a Belgian state school.

Your best bet would be to contact the private international schools or language schools, such as Berlitz.

yttap Apr 16, 2017 14:19

You could try the British School of Brussels:


or perhaps contact the British Council.

Or offer to tutor children privately.

ruzbeh Apr 16, 2017 18:01

Thanks for your replies. Do certificates such as DELTA, CELTA help in finding a teaching position at Belgium schools?
How and where can I apply for a teacher training certificate or course?

CC_R Apr 17, 2017 09:22

I think it dep nds do you mean you want to teach children or adult? As far as I am aware of your highest qualification is PhD you should in theory anyway be able to teach in some places with just a PhD. Why not just send a cv to all the international schools you can find information for. From what I understand a qualification to teach isn't always a requirement if your level is high enough but I could be wrong. However if you want to teach English as a Foreign Language then the best thing to do is approach a language school I think here are certain certificates that one needs they could advise you better on what these are and where to get them here.

anon Apr 17, 2017 10:30

Q - "Do certificates such as DELTA, CELTA help in finding a teaching position at Belgium schools?"

A - If you mean Belgian state schools, the answer is no.

You may be able to work at some of the international schools, but they typically have more applications than there are jobs, and they don't typically need English teachers. Or you could try some of the language schools, such as Berlitz, Amira CLL

Berlitz - http://www.berlitz.be/en/brussels/job_vacancies/
Amira - http://www.amira.be
CLL - https://www.cll.be/cll-6/jobs/become-a-trainer-at-cll.htm?lng=en

See also these questions:


michele Apr 17, 2017 11:24

Try the EU schools too and the Belgian Universities.

R.Harris Apr 18, 2017 10:31

Most of the answers here seem to think that you want to teach English, but with a Phd in English literature I would think (and I could be wrong) that you want to teach literature (and that you may not actually be qualified to teach the language as a language), in which case there could very well be an opening at one of the international schools. Good luck!

ruzbeh Apr 19, 2017 08:37

Dear all, thanks so much for your responses and comments. They would be of great help to me.

Questions & Answers

Help and get help


Does anyone know of a therapist around Brussels or the outskirts?


I want to order some clothes from a US website withchic.com. Do I have to...


It's only me thinking that or others think the same...

Here on Q& A, wh...


Events & Social


18 Oct
by Expat Club
18 Oct
18.10.2017 to 22.10.2017
by Paris Asian Art Fair
18 Oct
by Jazz4you asbl


4 Nov
by ARAU asbl
16 Nov
by Harlan Levey Projects
3 Dec
03.12.2017 to 03.10.2019
New York