Powered by xpats.com
7 °C

Not registered yet?

  • Daily & weekly newsletters
  • Buy & download The Bulletin
  • Comment our articles
Register now

You are here

'Statut d'independent'



I was recently made redundant having worked for my company for over 14years. I now have the option to do some part-time consultancy work for another company and would really appreciate advice on the steps required to register for the 'Statut d'independent'. What are the tax implications if I was earning say 5000euros gross per month? Also, if this does not work out then how does it affect my unemployment benefit?

Thank you for any advice you can provide.

J Jul 24, 2017 16:43

You'd do well to see an accountant who works with Freelancers (there are a lot of them), and get professional advice on how to operate and what the tax implications are.

You are still entitled to unemployment benefit for 12 years after you got made redundant, even if you do do some work on a freelance basis for some of that time.

socrate Jul 24, 2017 17:49

Roughly speaking, between social security payments and incomes taxes you would be left with 50% of your gross income.
Independents are sort of second class when it comes to receiving social security support unless they make special payments or take out private insurance.
I'm not certain of the following, but it's important to check it out if your work involves the possibility of a client claiming damages. Your liability might not be limited to your economic activity assets but might extend to your personal assets as well.

R.Harris Jul 24, 2017 20:32

Be sure to speak with an accountant or work with a company like Group S. The tax implications vary depending on the kind of work you do.

HELENA MIZIURA Jul 28, 2017 20:35

Are there any walking or cycling groups in or around Waterloo?

Joycely Aug 18, 2017 17:40

Hi there, I think that I can help you as I was in the same situation a while back.
I can tell you where to get all the information you need. here are some useful links: http://www.beci.be/services/je_cree_ma_societe/devenir_independant_en_be...


It is a question of choosing the right status as a self-employed business owner.
The best status, I find is : independant complementaire.
For this status you just have to work a certain amount of hours ( eg. as a consultant, a teacher etc) and then you only have to pay around 400 euro a month for social security.
With the other status, you will have to pay taxes on top of the 400 euros a month. Taxes: entrepreneur- 50% of benefits; SA- 30% of benefits are pay taxes etc.
Feel free to contact me for any more information.
I hope that helps.

Questions & Answers

Help and get help


Can anyone provide a personal recommendation for a Dutch tutor in the Brussels area? Pr...


I am interested in sharing a full-time nanny with another family or two for S...


Hi all,

We are moving house soon to Hoeilaart and would like the house professio...


Events & Social


18 Jan
by Muziekpublique
18 Jan
18.01.2018 to 08.02.2018
by Brussels Childbirth Trust...
19 Jan
19.01.2018 to 21.01.2018
La Bresse - Hohneck
by Expat Club


17 Mar
17.03.2018 to 24.03.2018
Val Thorens
by Expat Club
21 Mar
by Jazz4you asbl
3 Feb
by Muziekpublique