Powered by xpats.com
5 °C

Not registered yet?

  • Daily & weekly newsletters
  • Buy & download The Bulletin
  • Comment our articles
Register now

You are here

Previous Landlord claiming bills


Hi all,
I moved out of my previous apartment 7 months ago. Now the landlord is claiming bills that are not even in my name. He never registered the meter reading when I moved in or out of the apartment. 1st year in the apartment, I was thrown an insane bill that I paid (including consumption for whoever was there before me) and we were supposed to settle the difference (we never did). Now that I suggested to communicate the readings so it is properly calculated and I pay the difference I owe, he doesn't agree and says that I should claim the money I paid from the previous tenant. Have you encounter this previously? I am planning to go legal and sue his a** for harassment and for throwing me out of the apartment to move in himself without giving me appropriate notice and not returning the bank deposit.
Any thoughts you share are appreciated.

CC_R Apr 27, 2017 09:32 Marked as helpful by the topicstarter

Did you not have a moving in survey and take measurements of these in that regard? Do you for example have photographic proof of the reading you had on going in and out Iif not hoe can you prove what is yours?
I think if it's never been in your name he's hard pressed to claim you owe it all. My guess is it's just him trying it on.
Send a registered letter saying you will put your share of the bills into a bank saving account called bills and do so and he can have that when he Returns any deposit due. So if he does take legal action you have proof you were willing to pay the share of the bill you owe.
Also if he's moved himself in I think but others will correct that he can give less notice. Courts here cost money so be aware it may not be worth the cost.
Count your blessings this kind of landlord is very hard to deal with and sad a little too common here

CC_R Apr 27, 2017 09:32

By count your blessings I mean you're better off away from them and hopefully now you have a better landlord

EC03 Apr 27, 2017 15:13

Thank you CC_R for your answer. I do have the reading for when I moved in and a picture of the meter for when I moved out. The thing is that the account was never transferred in my name. I was under the impression that it was the responsibility of the landlord. I will go for the registered letter in the meantime.

J Apr 28, 2017 09:38

" I am planning to go legal and sue his a** for harassment and for throwing me out of the apartment to move in himself without giving me appropriate notice and not returning the bank deposit."

Do. You should get at least 9 months' rent out of it.

J Apr 28, 2017 09:43

If the bills are not in your name, you have no responsibility for them. The utilities company can only sue the person on the bill.

What should happen is that as part of the moving in survey, you agree the meter readings and fill in a transfer form to change the bill to the person taking over the property. Same at moving out. It sounds like you've completely neglected to do this.

As you're going to be talking to a lawyer to get legal advice on recovering the compensation that is owed to you, I'd also suggest you mention the bills situation as well.

Questions & Answers

Help and get help


good day,

Please I need help om placing my car on autoscout.be for sale.


Hi, does anyone know, the minimum composite index which was required to enter the seco...


I have a question regarding health insurance if you are not paying social contributions...


Events & Social


21 Jan
21.01.2018 to 08.02.2018
by Brussels Childbirth Trust...
22 Jan
by Fern
23 Jan
by English Comedy Brussels


24 Feb
Rhode St. Genese
24 Jan
by Brussels Darkness Into Light
7 Feb
by Expat Club