Powered by xpats.com
4 °C

Not registered yet?

  • Daily & weekly newsletters
  • Buy & download The Bulletin
  • Comment our articles
Register now

You are here

Car Registration Plates


Hello, I have just moved to Belgium and have started the registration process in the local commune. I have also bought a second hand car, but I cannot seem to get the registration plates for it, as apparently I am not in the system, even though I have a national number now.
Do I need to wait until the police officer comes to my apartment and then I get my national card before I am able to get my car plates?
Does anyone know any quicker way of getting my car because it is a necessity for me.

Thanks in advance.

becasse Dec 6, 2017 14:43

The completion of the process of registering new foreign residents can take several months, even after the police visit, and you won't be able to register or use your "new" car until then.

You won't actually need your new ID card (which will take even longer to be issued), once the process is finally completed you can obtain a Certificate of Residence from your commune and the DIV will accept that along with your passport.

kasseistamper Dec 6, 2017 16:03

Check with your insurers. They should be able to give you some idea as to how you might be able to use the car straight away.

becasse Dec 6, 2017 21:25 Marked as helpful by the topicstarter

Your insurers will tell you that you cannot register the car with the DIV (and therefore use it) until you have an official address in Belgium. Alternatively, if the person that you speak to is less knowledgable, they will tell you to go to the DIV in person - without an ID card or a Certificate of Residence it will be a wasted journey. Note that the DIV will not accept the letter from the commune confirming that you have applied for registration even if it mentions your National Number.

Seven years ago I had a new car sitting at the dealers for almost 2 months waiting for the process to be completed, fortunately I still had my UK-registered car.

adrianwalsh1990 Dec 7, 2017 08:18

Funnily enough I have already made that wasted journey to the DIV. This is a disaster, this type of thing must come up all the time. I've already been renting cars for 4 weeks, guess I have to keep going. Thanks for your help.

Edi Dec 7, 2017 10:54

Go to your commune as others said and get your residence certificate. With that you will be able to register your car and receive your plate. Be careful with driving license as well. If you are coming from a non EU country you must exchange in your first year of residence. its a process that will take 2 months and you are not allowed to drive within this period.

Questions & Answers

Help and get help


I have a question regarding health insurance if you are not paying social contributions...


The Toni & Guy hair salon at Schuman has closed very suddenly . Does anyone know wh...


Can anyone provide a personal recommendation for a Dutch tutor in the Brussels area? Pr...


Events & Social


19 Jan
19.01.2018 to 21.01.2018
La Bresse - Hohneck
by Expat Club
19 Jan
20 Jan


20 Jul
20.07.2018 to 22.07.2018
by Expat Club
6 Feb
by English Comedy Brussels
10 Mar
by Brussels Choral Society & Brussels Philharmonic Orchestra