Powered by xpats.com
19 °C

Not registered yet?

  • Daily & weekly newsletters
  • Buy & download The Bulletin
  • Comment our articles
Register now

You are here

Living in Belgium from the UK. Working in Netherlands.


Hey guys

I've just moved from the UK to Belgium to stay with my girlfriend who is also from the UK. She is studying at Maastricht university, so we live close to the border.

I'm a little bit confused in terms of making a bank account, as well as registering at the town hall, since I'm only going to be here 3 years, and also backwards and forwards. I've heard I need health insurance to register, but as soon as I get that, I'm no longer liable to UK NHS treatment? I plan on receiving treatment when I go back during the summer. What would be the best course of action?

Thanks for any advice you guys can give me.

anon Jan 11, 2017 13:09

If you're going to be living in Belgium you need to register at the commune.

As for health insurance, are you employed in the Netherlands, or in the U.K.?

If you are entitled to healthcare in Belgium or the Netherlands, you can also get (essentially emergency) UK healthcare under the European Health Card system. For longer term healthcare, you access that in the country you are resident in and where you pay your social security / mutuelles contributions.


CC_R Jan 12, 2017 16:09

Hi if you can get cover from a mutelle I would the health care is very good and for many things you would get better and faster treatment than in the uk. To be honest they often don't check up in the uk so if you can leave an address with a GP say a parents on the record in the uk and use them when you go back I would,and unlikely they wil twig your not there full time. I'm not clear if you have to show health insurance or not for the commune but you are obligied to register if you're living here and may possibly have to explain how you will support yourself to them

Questions & Answers

Help and get help


Hello, I am a non European citizen with a family member card f, what is the maximum num...


I have a signed a 9 year lease contract starting middle of July 2014. Tomorrow I will g...


UK based trailers up to 3500kg carry car registration.
Trailers i...


Events & Social


28 Mar
by Silversquare Stéphanie
28 Mar
by Silversquare Louisee
29 Mar
by Brussels Childbirth Trust...


4 Apr
by English Comedy Brussels
6 Apr
by British Chamber of Commerce in Belgium
18 Apr
18.04.2017 to 07.05.2017
Wezembeek-Oppem / Tervuren
by Brussels Childbirth Trust asbl (BCT)