Powered by xpats.com
16 °C

Not registered yet?

  • Daily & weekly newsletters
  • Buy & download The Bulletin
  • Comment our articles
Register now

You are here

Eye tests-eye doctors.


Hi all in the past we always travelled to uk to get eye test done standard age related vision issues, with large chain optician then went back to pick up glasses usually in Canterbury or near inlaws. This was because we were always told glasses are expensive here.
However just wondering can anyone explain to me what the different type of eye tests one can get done here are and who does them. For example if I went to an eye specialist of some sort, rather than what would be called optician like pearl chain of shops could it be covered with more back on the glasses? If so what type of doctor is this? Since I don't understand what the different titles of docs do no good checking my policy to see what I can get.

CM Jan 10, 2017 13:15

A specialist eye doctor is called an ophtalmologue in French. They will give you a prescription which you can still use in the UK if you want, and you can cliam back from your mutuelle for their fee, that's all that is different.

becasse Jan 10, 2017 13:34

An ophtalmologue will you charge the same consultation fee as a generaliste, plus the hospital whose facilities they use will add a small fee (less than € 2 at our local hospital).

anon Jan 10, 2017 15:24

You should also speak to your mutuelle.

kasseistamper Jan 10, 2017 15:34

A specialist eye doctor is called an oogarts in Dutch. Mine certainly charges far more than my doctor but she's the only one in town so needs must.
Their fee will be subject to a mutuelle refund whereas an eye test in an optician will not.
I've always got my glasses at Hans Anders and they are definitely no more expensive than in the UK though, of course, in both countries the range of prices for frames is huge.

yttap Jan 11, 2017 07:15

He opthalmist will check not just your vision and prescribe the correct lenses, but more importantly will check on the health and condition of your eyes, by carrying out a a series of tests using high technology equipment. Checks on the pressure of your eyes (which is different from blood pressure), stages of developing cataracts, checks on risks of glaucoma, check on whether you have a dry-eye problem ... The cost of a consultation will be at least double that of a GP, and the Mutuelle typically reimburses about a third! You should check with your Mutuelle on ceilings for reimbursements, and you can always ask the opthalmist in advance to give you an estimate! Typically, you would need to consult about every two or three years ... Best to get a recommendation for a specialist by word of mouth.

hansdl Jan 11, 2017 12:11
CC_R Jan 12, 2017 16:11

Thanks one and all.

Questions & Answers

Help and get help


Hello Everyone,

Anyone having idea on dental bonding and about the approx. price...


We had an accident with our dishwasher. The door is bent but it still closes and washes...



I am currently working in Netherlands with highly skilled migrant work permi...


Events & Social


31 Mar
by Café Floréo
31 Mar
by In Vino Veritas
1 Apr
by Expat Club


4 Apr
by English Comedy Brussels
1 Apr
01.04.2017 to 31.10.2017
by De Koninklijke Moedige Bootvissers vzw
19 May
by VZW At The Boulevard